Reposted from the Act Knowledgebase. Thank You Swiftpage.
Visit the Act Knowledgebase here: http://kb.act.com/
Visit kb.act.com for more information.
How do I upgrade to Act! v20 from a previous version?
Question: How do I upgrade to Act! v20 from a previous version?
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium, Act! Premium (access via web), Act! Premium Cloud (Offline Client users only)
Important Note: Act! v20 installs and uses Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express as its database engine. If you are upgrading from a version of Act! that used Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (Act! versions 2011 (v13), 2012 (v14), 2013 (v15), v16, or v17.0) and you are or will be using remote databases, it is strongly recommended that you read the following knowledgebase article before proceeding further to ensure remote synchronization functions properly:
- Answer ID 38104
Microsoft Outlook or Google Synchronization Users
If you use Microsoft Outlook synchronization or Google synchronization with Act!, refer to one of the following knowledgebase articles, depending on whether you are using Microsoft Outlook or Google:
If you are upgrading from ACT! 2005 or later, it is CRITICAL that you create backups of any databases on your computer prior to upgrading. Once you have installed Act! v20 and updated your database to Act! v20 from the previous version you CANNOT revert back without uninstalling Act! v20, reinstalling your previous vrsion of Act!, then restoring from the backup that was taken prior to upgrading. If you are using Act! E-mail, you must also create a backup of your email database. For information on creating these backups, refer to the knowledgebase articles below:
- Answer ID 19211
- Answer ID 19212
Shared Database, Remote Database, and Offline Client Users
All users must upgrade to the same version of Act! in order to continue sharing the database. Users who have not upgraded will not be able to access the database. Once upgraded on the server, remote database and Offline Client users who have not upgraded will not be able to synchronize. It is strongly recommended that remote database and Offline Client users do not attempt to synchronize until after the main database and all remote databases or Offline Clients are upgraded and converted to the new version.
For Act! Premium users, Network and Internet sync services must be uninstalled and reinstalled using the Act! v20 download files. For more information refer to the following knowledgebase articles:
- Answer ID 19806
- Answer ID 37908
- Answer ID 14582
- Answer ID 37921
Note: If you are using Application synchronization (built-in sync service), this is upgraded along with the program and does not require installation of a separate service.
Upgrading the Act! program
Note: If you have already installed Act! v20, skip to the next section
- Ensure that a backup has been created of your database
- Ensure that all users have logged out of the database
- Uninstall the previous version of Act! from the Windows Control Panel. For information, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
- Answer ID 37318
Note for Act! Premium (access via web) users:
- Act! v20 automatically installs the Act! Web API. If you were using the Act! Premium Web API with your previous version of Act! Premium (access via web), you must also uninstall it before proceeding. For information regarding uninstalling the Act! Premium Web API, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
- Answer ID 38385
- Install Act! v20 using the installation instructions in one of the following knowledgebase articles below:
- Answer ID 38867
- Answer ID 38869
Updating the Act! database
Note: You can only convert database that locally reside on the machine where you are converting them. Do not attempt to convert databases from a workstation over a network.
Once you have installed Act!, you must upgrade your database. Opening the database will trigger the database update process. Follow the steps below:
- Open Act! and your database
- When prompted to back up the database, click Yes (if you haven’t already backed up the database), or click No
Note: If you clicked No, skip to step 5
- Ensure that the database backup will be saved to the desired location, then click OK
- When the notification that the backup completed successfully appears, click OK
- When the prompt to update the database appears, click OK to begin the upgrade process
Note: A typical update can take from 5 – 15 minutes
- When the update is complete, click OK on the confirmation that appears
- Repeat the above steps to convert any additional databases to the new format
Note for Outlook Integration users:
If you use Outlook integration, you must reselect the Address Book after upgrading your database. For instructions, refer to the knowledgebase article below:
- Answer ID 26796
WARNING! This KB article (including any software and related documentation) is provided “AS IS.” Swiftpage disclaims all express or implied warranties of any kind with respect to the article, including but not limited to, any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.